Skip to main content

Selling your home involves a great deal of preparation. Not only do you need to prepare the property ready to sell, you will need to have a range of documentation readily available to help the selling process run smoothly.


What Documents Do I Need To Sell A Property?

When selling your home, there are certain documents that you must present:

Proof of identity – you will need to prove that you are who you say you are by showing photographic identification (such as a driving license or passport) and a proof of address. This will need to be shown to estate agents, legal representatives and mortgage lenders – all of whom are required to check your identity.

Property information form (TA6) – once the sale has been agreed, you will need to fill out this form. It provides information about your property for any prospective buyers. The form will typically include multiple details including any previous property disputes, any works the property has undergone, if the property is listed or in a conservation area, the property boundaries, any utilities which are connected to the property, any guarantees or warranties and prior insurance claims on the building. It will also include if the property has an EPC, any Green Deal efficiency measures, or if it has been affected by Japanese Knotweed in the past.


What Certificates Do I Need To Present?

There are many different certificates that you may need to present when selling your property.

The most important certificate you need to present is the energy performance certificate (EPC) which you should apply for even before putting your home on the market. The EPC is a legal requirement for anyone selling their home and reveals to buyers how energy efficient your home is. The rating system works on a scale of A to G – A is the most efficient. Lower ratings indicate to prospective buyers that the home is more expensive to heat and power so bills are likely to be higher. Sellers or landlords could be fined up to £5,000 for not having an EPC.

There are other certificates you will need to present when proving that any changes you have made to the property have adhered to building regulations. These include:

  • FENSA certificates for windows and doors
  • Gas safety certificate to show regular inspections of gas appliances
  • Boiler safety certificate to show when the boiler was installed, verifies that it was installed properly and that it meets all required building regulations
  • Electrical installation certificate to prove that any electrical installation works were done in line with building regulations (you will need The Building Regulations Compliance Certificate and the Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC)


What Additional Paperwork Do I Need To Show?

Other key documents that a seller may need to present include:

  • Planning approval for any major changes – in the case of an extension or major renovation on the property, you will need to show that the planning permission was approved to protect future buyers against any costs associated with a future enforcement action.
  • TA10 form (Fittings and Contents) – once the sale has been agreed, you will need to fill in the Fittings and Contents form to state what is included and excluded in the sale price of the property. For example, the household appliances, boiler, curtains and furniture.
  • Title deeds – the title deeds are proof that you own your property. They can be stored with the solicitor or conveyancer or in some cases with the mortgage provider.